The Hon'ble Justice V. S. Sirpurkar
Former Chief Justice
Time Period:20-Mar-2005 to 01-Jan-2007
Born on 22"d August, 1946.
· Hailing from a Lawyers' family - Father, Mother, Wife, Son, Daughter-in-law and brothers are all Lawyers.
· Matriculated from Chandrapur District of Maharashtra, topping in the District.
· Completed graduation from Morris College, Nagpur In 1966.
· Completed Law Degree from the University College of Law, Nagpur.
· Practiced at Nagpur in the High Court on constitutional and criminal sides.
· Was elected as a Joint Secretary and Secretary of the High Court Bar Association, Nagpur.
· Was also elected as a Member of Maharashtra Bar Council twice; i.e. in the year 1985 and 1991.
· Elevated as a .Judge of the Bombay High Court In 1992.
· Transferred to the Madras High Court In December 1997 where as Senior Judge also held the post of “Executive Chairman" of the Tamil Nadu State Legal Services Authority.
· Life Member of the World Wild Life Fund.
· Elevated as Chief Justice, High Court of Uttaranchal vide notification dated 16th July, 2004 and holding the Office of Chief Justice, High Court of Uttaranchal w.e.f. 25th July, 2004.
· Co-opted as a Member to the Legal Education Committee of the Bar Council of India, New Delhi.
· Serving as a Member of the Governing Council of the Indian Law Institute, New Delhi from the Judges'
· Assumed office of the Chief Justice of the High Court at Calcutta on transfer from High Court of Uttaranchal at Nainital w.e.f. March 20, 2005.